This higher dose option complements the Luforbec 100/6 pMDI providing a costeffective asthma treatment range4,5,6
Slough, UK, November 14, 2022: Lupin Healthcare, the UK-based wholly owned subsidiary of Lupin Limited (Lupin) today announced the UK launch of Luforbec 200/6 (beclomethasone 200mcg / formoterol 6mcg) pressurised metered dose inhaler (pMDI) for the treatment of adult asthma.3 Luforbec 200/6 pMDI has the potential to offer significant cost savings for the NHS whilst being a certified carbon neutral inhaler as a result of carbon offsetting.1,2,5,6
Luforbec 200/6 pMDI is indicated for the treatment of adult asthma where use of an inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting beta2-agonist (ICS/LABA) is appropriate.3 It has the same licensed indications as Fostair® 200/6 pMDI with the same active ingredients, an extra fine formulation and similar device characteristics.3,7,8
In the 12 months to June 2022, the NHS spent over £241 million on Fostair® 100/6 and 200/6 pMDIs 5,9 Luforbec pMDIs offer a 30% NHS list price saving versus Fostair pMDIs.5 Prescribing Luforbec instead of Fostair could release savings of approximately £72 million per annum for the NHS.5,9
Following an independent Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to quantify the carbon footprint of Luforbec 200/6 pMDI, Lupin Healthcare offsets all carbon emissions associated with this pMDI sold in the UK, so like the 100/6 pMDI inhaler, it is certified as carbon neutral by Carbon Footprint Ltd through carbon offsetting.2
“We are pleased to make Luforbec 200/6 pMDI available in the UK alongside the already available Luforbec 100/6 pMDI. This provides healthcare professionals with a choice of strengths to help optimally manage appropriate asthma patients, and offers the potential to deliver significant NHS savings. At Lupin we are proud that both inhalers are certified as carbon neutral; this is a positive step for Lupin on its sustainability journey.” said Ben Ellis, General Manager – Lupin Healthcare UK.
In the UK, around 5.4 million people are currently receiving treatment for asthma, which is equivalent to one in every 12 adults.10 Asthma places a heavy cost burden on the NHS, estimated at £3 billion per year.11
Notes to editors
About Luforbec 200/6 pMDI3
Luforbec is indicated in the regular treatment of asthma where use of a combination product (inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting beta2-agonist (ICS/LABA)) is appropriate. This includes patients not adequately controlled with ICS and ‘as needed’ inhaled short-acting beta2-agonist or patients already adequately controlled on both ICS and LABA.
About Lupin UK
Lupin Healthcare is a subsidiary of the global pharmaceutical company Lupin Limited which has a presence in over 100 countries and is the 3rd largest pharmaceutical company in the USA by prescriptions.12 Lupin’s heritage lies in generic medicines and delivering quality medicines and value to patients and healthcare providers. Lupin has a resilient supply chain with excellent supply history as well as having tried and tested continuity plans in place. Entrepreneurial spirit, external focus and pipeline strength elevate Lupin Healthcare from a standard generics company to a more specialist organisation, partnering with the NHS to deliver value in the anti- retroviral, women’s health, neuroscience and respiratory space.
About Carbon Offsetting and carbon neutrality
Carbon offsetting is the reduction or removal of an equivalent amount of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gas emissions to that which is associated with an entity, product or service. The reduction or removal is achieved via investment into environmental initiatives that reduce or store carbon such as forest preservation, renewable energy and better farming methods.
Carbon neutrality is when the carbon emissions associated with an entity, product or activity are reduced to zero for a defined duration. This is typically achieved as a result of carbon offsetting.
For further information please contact:
Senior Product Manager, Lupin Healthcare UK
Tel: 07341 378 715
Associate Director, Makara Health
Tel: 07502 362 832
- Carbon Footprint Life Cycle Assessment Report 2022. Data on File.
- Certifications of carbon neutrality for Luforbec 100/6 and 200/6 Data on File.
- Luforbec 200/6 pMDI Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/31255#gref Accessed November
- Luforbec 100/6 pMDI Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/12639/smpc#gref Accessed November
- NHS BSA. Drug Tariff. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/pharmacies-gp-practices-and-appliance-contractors/drug-tariff Accessed November
- Luforbec 200 micrograms/dose/6 micrograms/dose inhaler. Lupin Healthcare (UK) Ltd. NHS dm+d browser. Available at: https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/dmd-browser/amp/view/166165?ref= Accessed November
- Fostair 200/6 Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC). Chiesi Ltd.https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/21006#gref Accessed November 2022.
- Therapeutic Lupin Healthcare Limited. Data on File. UK-LUF-2207-00011.
- General Practice Prescribing Data August 2020 – July 2021 This public sector information is licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3). Accessed November 2022
- Asthma Understanding Asthma. Accessed November 2022.
- Respiratory Disease. https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/clinical-policy/respiratory-disease/. Accessed November 2022.
- IQVIA MAT Dec 2020 https://www.lupin.com/portfolio/lupin-quarter-iii-fy2021-results. Accessed November 2022.